Monday, March 06, 2006

How can one say Hollywood is in decline...


...when an image like that can sum up the Academy Awards? Last night was possibly one of the worst awards shows I've ever watched for anything. You know it's bad when the host (Jon Stewart) is taking jabs at the content of the show. I found it humorous that they chose Jon Stewart to host when they know he's got some pretty big balls and will be willing to criticize nearly anything, solely so in opes that they'd the "anti-establishment" types to tune in to watch him. Anyway, the content of the show consisted of mainly two incredibly confusing and less-than-mediocre performances ("Bird" York and Three 6 Mafia), boring montages, and stupid anti-piracy speeches. I think they realized this show was going to be awful this year so to ensure that it would be talked about the next day they gave Three 6 Mafia an oscar.

As far as the awards go, I wasn't all that shocked by any of them. I was 100% sure Reese Witherspoon was going to win for Best Actress, and 90% sure Ang Lee would win for Brokeback Mountain. I haven't seen Capote yet, but Philip Seymour Hoffman has consistently been awesome in every part he's had, however minor the role may be, so I was glad he finally got some solid recognition. I was slightly surprised Jake Gyllenhaal didn't win for Best Supporting Actor, however, George Clooney is still a badass regardless of what people say so that sat fine with me. I didn't really care about Best Supporting Actress at all, so I had no feelings as to who should win. I was extremely glad Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit won for Best Animated Feature because anything Wallace and Gromit is always brilliant. I was impressed how many awards Memoirs of a Geisha won because while it was a beautiful film, I found it pretty dull and hadn't heard much talk surrounding it.

Overall, it was a pretty dull awards show and hopefully based on the garbage that came out last year coinciding with poor ticket sales, Hollywood will realize they can't churn out films that progressively get shittier.

(PS. If you missed the show, here is Three 6 Mafia performing and winning which was by far the most interesting couple minutes of the whole show http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vkhp8i1adFQ&search=three%20six%20mafia)

2 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Matthew Majewski said...

Did you know that 3 six mafia is the first african american/hip hop/rap/trio to when an Oscar at the Academy Awards for a category they were nominated for. We witnessed history.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Is that Rueben Studdard in the phillies hat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home